2018 3rd International Conference on System Reliability and Safety

Local transportation in Barcelona

Barcelona public transport network (metro)

The options for your city travel include metro, bus, and tram. Each has its own benefits and are a very inexpensive way to see the city. TMB is the transportation company and theirwebsite provides route information that allows you to search by zipcodes, from where you are starting or where you want to go. The benefit of riding the tram or the bus is, of course, being able to see the city as you ride past it. It can be a great way to scan neighborhoods for shops and cafes very quickly. 

Barcelona has an excellent subway system that covers just about all of the metro area. Almost all of stations are clean, well lit and easy to access. Now, all stations are well marked and also if one asks a passing local, they generally can direct you to the entrance. Metro stops generally have two entrances and it will help you to know which direction to head when exiting the train to avoid having to backtrack. 

There are various types of passes including multi trips that can be purchased from a vending maching in the stations or at ticket offices. Prices are reasonable and buying a multi trip pass offers about a 50% savings over single tickets. Stations are nearby most major tourist attractions except the city biggest park where the Olympics were held. This requires to take the escalators along the hill or taking a bus from the metro station. There is a funicular railway that climbs halfways that hill, and also a cable car with a lovely scenery!

The T10 (10 single trips) cards can be used by multiple persons - just leave your card for the next person. This counts as another trip of course. A 'single trip' means you can get on/off any public transport within the 1hr15mins timeframe within your selected zone. In metro/train stations, enter gate turnstiles from the right (card goes on the left) but enter the sliding glass doors from the left (card goes on the right).

Travel cards are a great way to get around since they will give you access to the Trams, Metro, and Buses at about 5 euro / day per adult. Children and senior discounts are also available. Knowing you have unlimited ridership in a day frees you to go back and forth to your hotel, or take a bus between locations, or maybe even go on a random sightseeing adventure without concerning yourself about the cost. 


Passport and visa

Please click on the link below for official and important information:

Spain visas for Europeans

If you are from a member-country of the Schengen agreement - Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, plus Iceland and Norway (which are not EU members)- you do not need a passport to enter Spain. An official national ID card will suffice.

spanish passport
Citizens from EU countries that do not form part of the Schengen agreement must carry a valid passport to enter Spain. These are the UK and Ireland, as well as new members of the EU that do not yet participate in Schengen are Cyprus (joined in 2004) and Bulgaria and Romania (joined in 2007).
If you are from any of the aforementioned countries, Switzerland or member-countries of the European Economic Area (Norway, Iceland & Liechtenstein), you do not need a special visa to enter or reside in Spain. If you are planning to stay for more than 3 months, however, you need to apply for a residence card.

Spain visas for non-Europeans
Citizens of the following countries do not need a visa to stay in Spain for less than 90 days, only a valid passport: Andorra, Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bolivia, Brazil, Brunei, Canada, Chile, Costa Rica, Croatia, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Hong Kong & Macao (China), Israel, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, Monaco, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Singapore, South Korea, United States, Uruguay, Venezuela.
If you are from any of these countries and desire to stay in Spain to work or study for more than 3 months, you must solicit the corresponding visa. Agreements and processes vary by country, so it's best to consult the Spanish consulate closest to you.
Obtaining a student visa for Spain is not difficult, as long as your school provides the necessary paperwork. Apart from an official invitation letter you will need a certificate of good health, clean police record and proof of funds to pay for private insurance while in Spain.
Obtaining a work and residency visa is much more complicated and laws are constantly changing. The company in Spain must present the necessary paperwork to the Ministry of Labor here, including proof that no Spanish resident is capable of filling the position. The law now states that no illegal alien may solicit a work visa from within the country.


© Copyright © 2016-2018.ICSRS All rights reserved.www.icsrs.org